Saturday, July 07, 2007

One foot in the grave

It's been well over a year since the SINISTRE DVD release and any kind of update. Back in April this year, I was running low on copies so I wrote to the distributor asking for more. His reply:

"Sinistre, still plenty, amazingly, mind-bogglingly slow seller. We never sold off the 1000 double feature discs and that includes the couple hundred sent out as screeners!!!!!!!!!"

Wow. Over a year in release, a couple hundred screeners (not to mention all the copies I sent to people who promised to review it and never fucking did), and only one review? (Shock Cinema magazine #31) Fuck. If I could've looked into a crystal ball and seen 13 years into the future, knowing what I know now, to the moment I read that message, I don't know if I would've bothered. If I could travel back in time, I would have shot it on super-8 film at the very least. Then it might stand a chance. Nobody wants a shot-on-analog-video movie anymore. They (the potential audience) never really wanted one in the first place! The VHS release(s) didn't pay off enough to even cover the negative costs and at this point, the DVD is a "mind-bogglingly slow seller" so what else can I do but throw in the towel. Everyone involved with the production had a lot of high hopes for it, but I'm to blame for it's failure. I made a lot of bad decisions concerning SINISTRE. Making it at all in the first place was the first one.

While I'm crying in my beer, here's AtomFilms' response to Dan Skinner's submission of "Remains:"
"Thank you for submitting your film to AtomFilms. We know how much hard work and energy goes into making a film and we appreciate you wanting to share your vision with our audience. Unfortunately, your film does not quite fit our current needs"
Then they suggest sending it to their version of YouTube for all the world to see.. blah, blah, blah...

Whatever.. Fuck it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home